AsSalamu Aliekum Everyone
I have been away from the community for some time, and I truly miss being here. In the full theme of this amazing community, I want to share some thoughts on the "Shukr Lifestyle".
Recently, I came across this beautiful free gratitude journal by Yaqeen Institute called "The Shukr Lifestyle." It reminded me that gratitude in Islam is not simply an emotion. It is a way of living, but before we begin talking about gratitude, I think it's important to understand two words we often use interchangeably:
๐๐ก๐๐ญ ๐ข๐ฌ ๐ญ๐ก๐ ๐๐ข๐๐๐๐ซ๐๐ง๐๐ ๐๐๐ญ๐ฐ๐๐๐ง ๐๐๐ฆ๐ ๐๐ง๐ ๐๐ก๐ฎ๐ค๐ซ?ุงูุญู ุฏ (Hamd) is praising Allah because He is perfect and deserving of praise, whether or not we personally receive anything.
ุงูุดูุฑ (Shukr) is expressing gratitude for the blessings Allah has given us.
In other words:
Every Shukr includes Hamd.
But not every Hamd is Shukr.
When we say: ุงูุญู ุฏ ููู
we are praising Allah for who He is.
When we live in obedience because we recognize His blessings, that becomes Shukr.
Many scholars explain that true Shukr has three parts:
❤️ The heart recognizes the blessing came from Allah.
๐ฃ️ The tongue thanks and praises Allah.
๐คฒ The limbs use those blessings in ways that please Him.
That is why Shukr is not just something we say. It is something we live.
Allah reminds us repeatedly to be grateful.
َูุฅِุฐْ ุชَุฃَุฐََّู ุฑَุจُُّูู ْ َูุฆِู ุดََูุฑْุชُู ْ َูุฃَุฒِูุฏََُّููู ْ
"And remember when your Lord proclaimed: If you are grateful, I will surely increase you..."
(Surah Ibrahim 14:7)
And He also says:
َูุงุฐُْูุฑُِููู ุฃَุฐُْูุฑُْูู ْ َูุงุดُْูุฑُูุง ِูู ََููุง ุชَُْููุฑُِูู
"So remember Me; I will remember you. Be grateful to Me and do not be ungrateful to Me."
(Surah Al-Baqarah 2:152)
๐๐ก๐๐ญ ๐๐จ๐๐ฌ ๐ฅ๐ข๐ฏ๐ข๐ง๐ ๐ ๐ฅ๐ข๐๐ ๐จ๐ ๐๐ก๐ฎ๐ค๐ซ ๐๐จ?
Shukr...
• shifts our focus from what is missing to what Allah has already given.
• protects the heart from constant dissatisfaction.
• increases blessings, as Allah Himself promises.
• builds resilience during hardship.
• reminds us that every blessing is a trust to be used in His obedience.
The Prophet ๏ทบ himself worshipped Allah so abundantly that when asked why, he replied:
"Should I not be a grateful servant?" (Sahih al-Bukhari & Sahih Muslim)
That statement has always moved me. He ๏ทบ wasn't worshipping merely from fear of punishment or hope of reward. He worshipped out of gratitude, and what a beautiful level of iman to aspire to.
A beautiful du'a to make every day
ุงَُّูููู َّ ุฃَุนِِّูู ุนََูู ุฐِْูุฑَِู، َูุดُْูุฑَِู، َูุญُุณِْู ุนِุจَุงุฏَุชَِู
Allahumma a'inni 'ala dhikrika, wa shukrika, wa husni 'ibadatik.
"O Allah, help me to remember You, to be grateful to You, and to worship You in the best manner."
(Sunan Abi Dawud 1522)
May Allah make us among those few servants whom He described as truly grateful.
ุฑَุจِّ ุฃَْูุฒِุนِْูู ุฃَْู ุฃَุดُْูุฑَ ِูุนْู َุชََู ุงَّูุชِู ุฃَْูุนَู ْุชَ ุนَََّูู
Ameen.
For anyone interested, I'm sharing this free 15-day gratitude journal from Yaqeen Institute. I love that it combines Qur'an, Sunnah, reflection, journaling, and practical daily exercises to help make Shukr a lifestyle rather than just a word.
๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐๐๐๐ก๐๐๐ ๐กโ๐๐ก ๐๐๐๐๐๐ฆ ๐ ๐ก๐๐ฆ๐๐ ๐ค๐๐กโ ๐๐: ๐๐ ๐๐๐ก๐๐ ๐๐ ๐ ๐ด๐๐๐โ ๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐๐๐ ๐ค๐'๐ฃ๐ ๐๐๐ข๐ ๐๐ ๐ก๐ ๐๐๐ก๐๐๐ ๐คโ๐๐ก ๐ป๐ โ๐๐ ๐๐๐๐๐๐๐ฆ ๐๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐ ๐๐ข๐ โ๐๐๐๐ . ๐๐๐โ๐๐๐ ๐โ๐ข๐๐ ๐๐ ๐'๐ก ๐๐๐๐ฆ ๐๐๐๐ข๐ก ๐ ๐๐ฆ๐๐๐ ๐ด๐โ๐๐๐๐ข๐๐๐๐๐โ. ๐๐๐โ๐๐๐ ๐๐ก'๐ ๐๐๐๐ข๐ก ๐๐๐๐๐๐๐๐ ๐ก๐ ๐ ๐๐. ๐โ๐๐ ๐กโ๐ โ๐๐๐๐ก ๐๐๐๐๐๐ ๐ก๐ ๐๐๐๐๐๐๐๐ง๐ ๐ด๐๐๐โ'๐ ๐๐๐๐ ๐ ๐๐๐๐ ๐๐ฃ๐๐๐ฆ๐คโ๐๐๐, ๐๐๐๐ก๐๐ก๐ข๐๐ ๐๐๐๐๐๐ ๐ก๐ ๐ โ๐๐๐ ๐กโ๐ ๐ค๐๐ฆ ๐ค๐ ๐กโ๐๐๐, ๐ค๐๐๐ โ๐๐, ๐๐๐ ๐๐๐ฃ๐.
Comments
Post a Comment