If someone asked me what the greatest gift in Islam is after guidance, I think one of my answers would be this: Dua.
Not because it gives us what we ask for, but because it allows us to speak directly to Allah.
Think about that for a moment, the Lord of the heavens and the earth, the Creator of every living thing, the King whose dominion has no beginning and no end - Invites you to speak to Him.
You don't need an appointment, no intermediary, not through a priest or through someone more righteous than you.
Just you......and Allah.
At any time. About anything. Perhaps we have become so accustomed to making dua that we have forgotten how extraordinary it really is.
What Is Dua?
The Arabic word دعاء (dua) means to call upon or to invoke. In Islam, dua is much more than asking Allah for something. It is an act of worship.
The Prophet ﷺ said: الدُّعَاءُ هُوَ الْعِبَادَةُ "Dua is worship." (Jami' al-Tirmidhi)
Every sincere dua contains an unspoken testimony.
It says:
"Ya Allah...
I know You hear me.
I know You are able.
I know You are generous.
And I know I need You."
That, in itself, is worship.
Why Do We Make Dua?
Most of us would answer: "Because we want something from Allah."; and that is true.
We ask for forgiveness, for guidance, for health, for children, for provision, for relief, for Paradise.
But there is another reason we make dua, because Allah Himself invited us to.
Allah says:
وَقَالَ رَبُّكُمُ ادْعُونِي أَسْتَجِبْ لَكُمْ
"And your Lord says: Call upon Me; I will respond to you." (Surah Ghafir 40:60)
Notice how beautiful that is. Allah did not simply permit dua. He encouraged it, commanded it, and e loves when His servants turn to Him. Then He says:
وَإِذَا سَأَلَكَ عِبَادِي عَنِّي فَإِنِّي قَرِيبٌ ۖ أُجِيبُ دَعْوَةَ الدَّاعِ إِذَا دَعَانِ
"And when My servants ask you concerning Me, indeed I am near. I respond to the invocation of the supplicant when he calls upon Me." - (Surah Al-Baqarah 2:186)
This verse has always amazed me.
In many places in the Qur'an, people ask the Prophet ﷺ questions, and Allah tells him:
"Say..." But here... There is no "Say." Allah answers directly. "Indeed, I am near."
As though there is no distance between the servant and his Lord.
If Allah Already Knows What I Need, Why Should I Ask?
This is a question that many people quietly wonder.
If Allah already knows everything... If He knows my fears before I speak them... My worries before I think them... My dreams before I dare to share them... Then why make dua at all?
The answer is simple.
Dua is not for Allah's benefit.
It is for ours. Allah does not need information. He already knows, but we need to acknowledge our dependence upon Him.
Every sincere dua is an act of humility.It is the servant admitting: "Ya Allah... I cannot do this without You."
Dua softens the heart. It replaces arrogance with humility. Anxiety with trust. Despair with hope.
The purpose of dua is not merely to obtain what we want. It is to strengthen our relationship with the One we need. Perhaps that is why some of the greatest blessings of dua are not the things we receive, but the closeness to Allah we experience while asking.
Some Beautiful Duas From The Qur'an
The Qur'an teaches us how prophets and righteous people turned to Allah.
Adam (عليه السلام) - After making a mistake:
رَبَّنَا ظَلَمْنَا أَنْفُسَنَا وَإِنْ لَمْ تَغْفِرْ لَنَا وَتَرْحَمْنَا لَنَكُونَنَّ مِنَ الْخَاسِرِينَ
"Our Lord, we have wronged ourselves, and if You do not forgive us and have mercy upon us, we will surely be among the losers." (Surah Al-A'raf 7:23)
Yunus (عليه السلام) - In the darkness of the whale:
لَا إِلَٰهَ إِلَّا أَنْتَ سُبْحَانَكَ إِنِّي كُنْتُ مِنَ الظَّالِمِينَ
"There is no deity except You. Glory be to You. Indeed, I have been among the wrongdoers." (Surah Al-Anbiya 21:87)
Ibrahim (عليه السلام)
رَبِّ هَبْ لِي مِنَ الصَّالِحِينَ
"My Lord, grant me from among the righteous." (Surah As-Saffat 37:100)
One of the most comprehensive duas in the Qur'an
رَبَّنَا آتِنَا فِي الدُّنْيَا حَسَنَةً وَفِي الْآخِرَةِ حَسَنَةً وَقِنَا عَذَابَ النَّارِ
"Our Lord, give us good in this world and good in the Hereafter and protect us from the punishment of the Fire." (Surah Al-Baqarah 2:201)
These are only a few examples. The Qur'an is filled with beautiful supplications, each teaching us not only what to ask for, but how to turn back to Allah.
Do I Have To Make Dua In Arabic?
This is one of the most common questions Muslims ask.
The answer is: No.
Allah created every language. He understands every language. More importantly...
He understands what is in your heart before your tongue ever speaks.
If you know the prophetic duas in Arabic, learn them and treasure them.
They are among the most beautiful supplications ever taught.
But never think Allah only listens to Arabic.
Speak to Him in the language that allows your heart to speak honestly.
Do I Have To Use Only The Duas From The Qur'an And Sunnah?
Again, the answer is no.
The duas found in the Qur'an and Sunnah are the best examples because they were taught by Allah and His Messenger ﷺ.
We should memorize them. Reflect upon them. Use them often, but Allah also wants to hear your voice.
Tell Him what frightens you. Tell Him what confuses you. Tell Him what keeps you awake.
Tell Him about the dream you've never told another soul.
The prophets themselves made personal duas unique to their circumstances. Your life is unique.
Your conversation with Allah can be unique too.
The Etiquette of Dua
The scholars mention many beautiful etiquettes for making dua.
Among them are:
Begin by praising Allah.
Send blessings upon the Prophet ﷺ.
Raise your hands when appropriate.
Face the qiblah if possible.
Ask with certainty that Allah hears you.
Be sincere.
Do not rush the response.
Repeat your dua with humility and hope.
End by praising Allah again.
The Prophet ﷺ said:
يُسْتَجَابُ لِأَحَدِكُمْ مَا لَمْ يَعْجَلْ، يَقُولُ: دَعَوْتُ فَلَمْ يُسْتَجَبْ لِي
"A person's supplication will continue to be answered so long as he is not impatient and says: 'I made dua but I was not answered." (Sahih al-Bukhari and Sahih Muslim)
The Greatest Gift of Dua
Most of us think the purpose of dua is to obtain something. Sometimes it is, but perhaps the greatest gift of dua is something even greater.
It reminds us who Allah is, and it reminds us who we are.
We are not self-sufficient. We are not in control. We are not without need. We are servants standing before our Lord.
Every time we raise our hands, we acknowledge that reality, and perhaps that is why dua changes us.
Sometimes Allah changes our circumstances through dua.
Sometimes He changes our hearts before He changes our circumstances, and perhaps that is the greater miracle.
May Allah make us among those who constantly turn to Him in ease and hardship, who ask Him with sincerity and certainty, and who never lose hope in His mercy.
اللهم اجعلنا من أهل الدعاء، ولا تجعلنا من الغافلين عن بابك، وافتح لنا أبواب رحمتك وإجابتك، إنك سميع قريب مجيب.
"O Allah, make us among the people of dua. Do not make us among those who are heedless of Your door. Open for us the doors of Your mercy and of answered supplications. Indeed, You are the All-Hearing, the Near, the One Who Responds."
آمين | Ameen

Comments
Post a Comment